Friday, September 14, 2012

Ok, so here's the deal....

I cook from scratch.  I don't like "a box of this" or "a can of that".  It's just not how I was taught!  My mother had an enormous garden every summer and we canned and froze all our own veggies and made our own sauces.  However, I live in the city now.  I was fortunate to get a little garden spot in our parks and rec departments community gardens, but believe me when I say it's a "little" spot.  This year wasn't a good year for gardening either.  I've been lucky to get a pretty good crop of cherry tomatoes, but the beefsteak tomatoes aren't doing so well (and neither are the rest of my plants!)
Anyway, (see, I told you my thoughts are scattered sometimes!) I like to make things from scratch but I understand and believe that sometimes we just need to make things convenient! I love to go to recipe websites like allrecipes.com and justapinch.com or Pinterest for inspiration.  After reviewing and perusing a few recipes, I came up with this little ditty.
Yes, it's another crock pot recipe (but you could just as easily put it in a dutch oven and cook it slow in your oven at about 325--and you may have to adjust the liquids a little).  I know I just posted 3 of them, but this one is so good I had to share it.


Apple and cranberry stuffing and pork
Serves 6

ingredients
1 box of your favorite instant stuffing mix
4 apples--I like a combination of granny smith and gala
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup diced onion
1 cup of chicken stock (you may need more later)
1 1/2 lb pork-- I've used pork loin, chops, pork steak, roast--any cut works.
1/4 cup honey (divided)
2 tsp dried rosemary
ground ginger
ground cinnamon
Salt and pepper to taste

Core and chop your apples.  put them in a bowl and sprinkle them with 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1/2 tsp of ginger. (adjust this to your personal taste) and drizzle 2 tbls of the honey over them.  Mix about 1/3 of the apple mixture with the box of stuffing, cranberries, celery, onions, and chicken stock.  Put this in the crock pot (I use a 3-4 quart one)  Season your meat with salt, pepper, rosemary, 1 tsp ginger, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Place the meat on top of the stuffing mix and drizzle the meat with the rest of the honey. Add the rest of the apples on top of the meat and cook on low setting for 4-6 hrs depending on your crock pot.
 As the apples, celery, onion and meat cook it will add moisture to the stuffing but if you notice it getting a little dry add more chicken stock as needed to keep it moist.  No need to add butter to the stuffing as the fat from the meat will add all the extra "fat" you need.

A crock pot liner is a great idea for this recipe!  It makes for easy clean up!

I like to serve this with steamed broccoli or baby carrots and sometimes add chopped walnuts to the stuffing for a little added bite.

Would love your comments and reviews of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment