Monday, September 24, 2012

Sometimes simpler is better

The last couple of weeks have been so busy!  Work is plentiful around here!  Between the job, the apartment, my daughter, the garden and weather, there is not a lot of down time!
The weather took a turn around here and my garden is now done!  I still need to dig up carrots and potatoes, but otherwise the killer frost got the rest of it!
I've been lucky that one of my neighbors has given me a bunch of cucumbers, and I've been making pickles like crazy!
Anyway, with everything going on around here, cooking has taken a back seat.  Things have been pretty simple.  One of our neighbors invited us over for dinner a couple nights.  Once for soup (a wonderful soup that I'm excited to tweek a little!) and again for taco's.  I made chili in the crock pot one day when I was so busy, and I baked some potatoes the next night.  We put leftover chili and shredded cheese on them.  
Because it's just my daughter and I (and I cook for an army) we usually have a ton of leftovers.  I freeze a lot of our left over dinners in individual size Rubbermaid or Tupperware containers so when I have these busy days, we can still have a good home cooked meal (and we can both choose what we want that night which means no fighting about what's for supper!)  So when I baked potatoes the other night, I baked a few extra with "re-purposing" them in mind.  And this is where this simple little recipe idea came up.

Like I said, sometimes simpler is better!  This is so easy, I'm almost ashamed to call it a recipe!  It's just a little thrown together potato side dish that just tasted so darn good that I had to share it.  The amounts you use will vary depending on how many you are feeding.  Figure one potato per person (depending on the size)  I made this for 4 of us and it was the perfect amount along with some hamburger "steaks" and green beans.

Ingredients

4 Left over baked potatoes
EVOO
1 small onion (red, white, yellow--doesn't matter)
1 1/2 tsp dried Rosemary
grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 tablespoons)
salt and pepper (to taste)

Cut the leftover potatoes into small chunks, about the size you'd cut them into for potato salad.  Dice the onion.  Put a thin layer of EVOO in a frying pan over med heat (EVOO isn't meant for frying, just sauteing or salad dressing due to it's low smoking point) and when it's hot add your potatoes and onion.  Stir them occasionally.  Allow the onions to caramelize and potatoes to heat through and slightly brown.  When the onions are starting to caramelize, add the rosemary.  Once the potatoes are heated through and slightly browned and onions are done, remove them to a plate with a paper towel on it to soak up any extra oil.    Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and pepper (taste before adding salt as the cheese can be salty enough and adjust salt accordingly)

Like I said, this is such an easy little "throw together" it's embarrassing to call it a recipe, but it's so tasty!  I didn't think to take pictures of this as I really didn't think I'd be posting it on my blog, but I will probably be making this again soon and will up load a picture then.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment