Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Beans, beans, beans!!!

I have some of the best friends in the world!  I really do!  We may not get to spend a lot of time together and sometimes we go months without talking, but when it comes down to the nitty gritty, I know they are always there and thinking of me!
My friend, Jennie, moved to California recently when her husband was offered a great job out there.  Jennie and I are so different, yet so alike in many ways.  We've been friends since childhood, and although we went years without seeing each other, when we did reunite, it was just like old times!  (except we have both "matured" and were much more relaxed than in our teens!)
Anyway, Jennie's hubby was already in California and she was finishing up the moving.  She sold or donated most of their furniture and household things, shipped out what she could, but had a TON of canned goods that she could not take with her.  (I'm talking a bomb shelter supply of soups and veggies!)  She brought them all to me!  See what I mean?  I have the best friends in the world!  Always thinking of me and helping me out when they can!
One of the items that she brought was an abundant amount of "Bean and Bacon" soup!  Now, we love bean soup, (we like beans in general) but have never been a fan of it in a can so I wasn't sure what to do with it.  It's been in the pantry now for a few months just sitting, waiting for me to come up with a brilliant way to use it.....and now I have!
My daughter, Olivia, and I were invited over to a friends house for dinner a week or so ago.  She made "Calico Bean Soup".  It was pretty darn good!  My daughter loved it and had two bowls!  We eat a lot of soup, especially when the weather starts getting cold, so I knew I had to get this recipe.
This morning, Olivia asked for this soup for supper again!  We have a lot of beans so I decided that I would try to tweak this recipe a bit.  There is an elderly woman in our neighborhood who I try to bring dinner to at least once a week, so I figured I could bring her some of this soup since I was experimenting and making so much!  So, here are a couple of  "tweaked" versions of her recipe!  I will post the original and my renditions for you.  Another thing to remember, "THIS IS SOUP"!  The recipe is very forgiving and exact measurements are not needed!

Original version of "Calico Bean Soup"

1 can Pork and beans
1 can Navy or Great northern beans
1 can corn
1 med to large onion, diced
1 1/2 cups bbq sauce
1 lb bacon
1 lb burger
3 medium to large potatoes, cut into small pieces
salt and pepper to taste

Cut bacon into small pieces (this is easiest when bacon is still slightly frozen).  Fry the bacon til crisp and remove to a paper towel to drain.  Mean while,  brown the burger and onion (you can do this in the bacon fat for extra flavor if you'd like) and then drain the fat from it.  In a soup pot, put in all of the beans (with the liquids) the corn, bacon, burger, and potatoes and add 2 quarts of water.  (you may need to add more later, depends on how thick or thin you like your broth)  Bring this to a boil.  Once the potatoes are tender, add the bbq sauce.  Soup is done.

Ok, so now you have the original version.  Now I'll give you my tweaked versions.

Here is the one using the abundant amounts of canned soup!

Tina's BBQ Bean Soup (I)

2 cans of bean and bacon soup, undiluted
1 can of corn
1 med to large onion, diced
1 can of diced tomatoes (about the 16 oz size)  I used a pint of the tomatoes I canned from my garden.
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin "coins"
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 lb of burger
1/2 pound bacon, cut in small pieces
3 med to large potatoes, cut into small pieces
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups bbq sauce

Fry the bacon until crisp and remove to a paper towel to drain.  Brown the burger, onion, and celery and drain off the fat. (season with salt and pepper to taste)  In a soup pot, add everything except the bbq sauce with about 2 to 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat to simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes and carrots are tender.  Stir in the bbq sauce.  Voila!  Done!



Now, this one is more like the original version with just a few add ins!

Tina's BBQ Bean Soup (II)

1 can of pork and beans
1 can of great northern beans or navy beans
1 can of corn
1 med to large onion, diced
1 can of diced tomatoes (about the 16 oz size)  I used a pint of the tomatoes I canned from my garden.
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into thin "coins"
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 lb of burger
1/2 pound bacon, cut in small pieces
3 med to large potatoes, cut into small pieces
1/2 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups bbq sauce



Fry the bacon until crisp and remove to a paper towel to drain.  Brown the burger, onion, and celery and drain off the fat. (season with salt and pepper to taste)  In a soup pot, add everything except the bbq sauce with about 2 to 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat to simmer and continue cooking until the potatoes and carrots are tender.  Stir in the bbq sauce.

Honestly, with the additions I've made, I'm not sure which one I like best!  But they are good!  Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Update!! I made this yesterday (loosely) using a pint of regular home made bean and ham soup I had in the freezer and a lb of left over sloppy joe meat I had in the freezer. I also used 2 large leftover baked potatoes I had left over from dinner a couple nights ago. It was so good! Make sure to use up those left overs!!!

    ReplyDelete