Friday, October 26, 2012

We love chicken!

It has been crazy busy around here the last couple weeks, and yesterday was no exception.  I did 5 loads of laundry, cleaned 2 apartment buildings and two apartments that people have moved out of.  UGH!  I was exhausted by the time I got done!  I definitely didn't feel like cooking.  I picked up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and baked some sweet potatoes in the microwave!  Dinner was served!  Of course, It's just Olivia and I so there was a lot of chicken left.  I'm kind of tired of the same old chicken casserole recipes so I went online for inspiration.  I found a recipe for a southwestern type chicken casserole that sounded pretty good and decided to try it.  I cut up the veggies, chicken, corn tortilla's.  I sauteed the veggies and added the soup and spices....but it was still kind of bland.  After a little doctoring up, I think I made a home run with this one!

Southwestern Chicken enchilada casserole


  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • large green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • (10-3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
  • (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can corn drained
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 18 corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips or bite size pieces
  • 4 cups diced cooked chicken
  • 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

  •   

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
     
  • In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Saute bell pepper, onion, and garlic 4 to 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in soup, diced tomatoes, chicken, corn, black beans, cumin and chili powder. Cook just until warmed.
     
  • Line bottom of prepared baking dish with half the tortilla strips. Top with half the vegetable and chicken mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat layers.
     
  • Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly and hot.


  • This is so good!  It could seriously be my favorite leftover chicken recipe over!





    No comments:

    Post a Comment